Monday, March 1, 2010

The golden muse

Was yesterday's Olympic gold medal hockey game a nail biter?

My heart - and stomach - would tell you that's a gross understatement. My pulse raced through what has to be the best match I've seen in a long time, and by the time "Sid the Kid" scored the winning goal in overtime, I questioned if I might need CPR.

It is with both relief and sadness I acknowledge the end of the Olympics (I've got to focus on something other than sports at some point...) Our athletes performed with excellence, breaking a few records, capturing Canadian hearts, and demonstrating sportsmanship, dedication and professionalism. I could have selected any of them to star as muse avatar this week - and even contemplated recasting Jon Montgomery (good grief that man is spectacular.)

I chose Sidney Crosby instead. Though his performance throughout the Olympics was steady, he didn't display the usual play excellence for which he's known. Nash, Neidermayer, and of course, Luongo, were the names most announced throughout the tournament, even in the gold medal game.

But when it mattered most, Crosby reminded us all of why he's one of our shiniest Canadian stars.

This morning, he's Canada's golden boy - and I suspect he'll be a little busy (or very tired) but I'm ok with that. I've made excellent progress with the current WIP and Sid the Kid is youthful and energetic - he'll multi task.

Besides, it's unlikely I'll get much writing done today - my heart's still in recovery mode. Congratulations to all of our Canadian athletes, and to Vancouver for hosting a memorable and inspiring Olympics. I am truly proud to be Canadian.

The Book In My Bag Today: Ceremony in Death, J.D. Robb

4 comments:

  1. Amen to that! Thanks for acknowledging Crosby,. I'm inspired by him too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect ending to the games :-) Now I might be able to get back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I caught the last two periods of the game and, of course, the overtime period. What a trip! Of course, I find any display of excellence and commitment inspiring. (Who could doubt how hard those guys worked after glimpsing the downcast faces of the Americans? Second-best in the world, yet they all looked as if they'd lost their best friend.)

    Still, I'm with you on the need for routine. And pages. Let's toast March as being a "get er done" month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, babe, I tagged you for a blog meme and award. ;) Details on today's post.

    ReplyDelete