Sunday, May 9, 2010

Book 27 - Industrial Magic

The trouble with a groaning TBR pile is that my mind has a tendency to wander to the next book before I'm finished the one I'm currently reading.

Although Kelley Armstrong is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, the new Nora Roberts kept shouting at me, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is like a constant whisper in my ear.

Sadly, that meant I probably didn't give Industrial Magic the attention it deserved.

As always, Armstrong hooked me with the opening chapter. There's something so...familiar... about her writing. Like I'm reconnecting with an old friend.

Somehow, she makes me believe in magic.

I've lamented in the past, Nora's witch series - and the classic movie Practical Magic - kind of ruined me for all other witchcraft-inspired series. As far as supernaturals go, I'm more impressed by demons, vampires, and (recently) werewolves.

But I like Paige. She's a down to Earth witch with real-life problems - and I can totally relate to her role as new "guardian" for young Savannah. I still couldn't quite connect with Lucas - Paige's sorceror love-interest - but after reading Bitten, I'm still pining for Clay. (Fortunately, Clay made a brief, but effective, appearance in Industrial Magic.)

Actually, many characters are introduced in this book, and for the most part, I'm excited to learn more about them. Especially Jaime Vegas, the necromancer. My BF might have heart failure at this confession but... this was my first encounter with a necromancer. I'm hopeful Jaime is the subject of Haunted, the next book in this series.

But I also hope she's given a fabulous plot. While I almost drool with envy over Armstrong's brilliant style, I found myself wandering through Industrial Magic - sometimes even, gasp, skimming. It's a big book (500 pages) - and some slower parts in the middle made it seem longer.

That being said, I'll probably read it again at some point - and although Savor the Moment, the third book in Nora Roberts' bride quartet, will likely beat out Armstrong's Haunted, I suspect I won't be able to hold out for long. I'm hooked on Armstrong.

4 comments:

  1. i haven't read any kelley armstrong books. i'll definitely check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi...I don't do this often, BUT, you MUST read Bitten. Blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, we have a lot of the same tastes it seems. Have you ever read any Christopher Pike? He's old school but still good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CQG - Yes, we do seem to have similar tastes. I LOVE Christopher Pike.

    ReplyDelete