Sunday, September 26, 2010

Book 46 - Dead Until Dark

I'm such a True Blood fan, I'm surprised it's taken me so long to read the first of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books. Maybe it's my typical aversion to novels made into films or TV shows - they rarely turn out right.

In this case, I'd say the producers of True Blood did a heck of a good job.

Of course, they started with some incredible material. Dead Until Dark is excellent.

If you watch True Blood, the book follows the storyline fairly closely. Sookie is a small-time cocktail waitress with an interesting ability to read minds. Except Bill's - one of Bon Temps' only vampires. Since the introduction of "True Blood" - a synthetic blood that allows vampires to live without feeding off humans - vampires live in the open. But not everyone is as trusting of them, and when a series of women is killed, the police assume the culprit is a vamp, and more specifically, Bon Temps' celebrity undead, Bill.

That's a pretty brief synopsis of a quite complex story, but to divulge more would ruin the book. Of course, if you watch the show, you already know all of that - and more, including the answers to each of the mysteries (and there are several.)  Dead Until Dark is essentially the entire first season of True Blood wrapped into one novel.

Harris is a fabulous writer. Dead Until Dark is a tight story - though maybe a little too tight. I felt rushed at the end, and some of the loose ends were tied up too neatly. Not deal breakers though because so much else was done so well.

Like voice. I love Sookie's character in the book, even if she did kind of annoy me during the first season of the show. And I can admit, now, that the producers did an excellent job of casting. Not only Sookie, but everyone. The descriptions of Bill and Eric are brilliant, and though his part was small (shucks), I did swoon over Eric.

I haven't quite jumped on the Charlaine Harris bandwagon with both feet, but I'll definitely check out the rest of the books in the series. Especially since the show is on seasonal hiatus. Always looking for ways to bring back Eric...

The Book In My Bag Today: Reckless, Cornelia Funke

6 comments:

  1. I'm doing this opposite to you and reading the books first before seeing the show. So far I am up to book 4, and I have enjoyed them, books number 2 and 3 especially so far. I am only a little ways into 4 but so far it hasn't grabbed me the ways book 2 and3 did. Can't wait to start watching the show! I am going to get the 1st season dvds soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you loved the book! Now you and me are both on the same page (no pun intended) on the True Blood books. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess - the show is quite addicting. And as I mentioned, I thought they did a great job of casting. I can't imagine anyone else playing each of the characters. Their voices are perfect! If I had the DVDs I'd lend them to you but I tend to borrow from my BF :-)

    Karen - you've only read the FIRST in the series? I would not have guessed that at all. I did love the book - not like Bitten or Heartsick or Shiver...but definitely a great, quick read. Sadly, the book in my bag today is a definite letdown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about ordering these for a while but I hesitated for the same reason you did. Thanks for reviewing these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CQG - you're more than welcome. I'd definitely check out the first one. Loved the writing. And Harris has a great literary voice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was surprised how closely the show stuck to the book! And Sookie's voice is very funny. She uses crazy one-liners that made me LOL.

    ReplyDelete