Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Papa-paparazzi



I've always dreamed of being a rock star, so when I landed the opportunity to hang out with Crash and Mars for 11 days, I figured my time had finally come. I mean, Crash's debut CD, Under my Covers, has produced such amazing hits as Bonus with Hay.

But my talents are limited. I can't sing, not even back-up. I'm a terrible whistler. And although I once could play an entire song on the recorder, I have no formal training as a musician.

Which pretty much leaves writing lyrics.

Until last night, I haven't been inspired. But as we launched into the second week of 102.3 Now Radio's Living with Crash and Mars challenge (and it IS a challenge), I found myself dodging Blackberry and iPhone flashes as dozens (maybe HUNDREDS) of people chased me in hopes of a snapshot of my new BFFs. (Apologies to last week's BFFs but when you spend every. waking. minute with two people, you tend to share...a lot.)




As I whirled around pillars, hid behind cars, and ducked under park benches branded with the NOW Radio signage, I composed a little song I think Crash should add to the Under my Covers set list. I like to call it Papa-Paparazzi.

* clears throat *

(Sung to the tune of that Lady Gaga song, Paparazzi...)

Here comes the crowd
They’re all coming out
Got their flash on it's true
Need that picture of you
Radio star Crash is magical
And Mars is so fantastic, oh

Crash’s plaid shirt and jeans
Mars looking so glamorous
Not sure what it means
But this photo of us
It does have a price
Get ready for those flashing lights
'Cause, NOW you know that

They’re your biggest fans
They’ll follow you until you love them
Papa-Paparazzi
Crash and Mars are stars
You know that they’ll be your-
Papa-Paparazzi

Promise I'll be fun
But they won't stop until that $100 bucks is won
Maybe NOW you'll be famous
They’ll chase you down until you love them
Papa-Paparazzi

They’ll be your girls backstage in your garage
Under my Covers can only get you so far
Yeah cause you're their rockstars on the radio
Living with you both is fantastic, oh

Crash and Mars are stars
You know that they’ll be your
Papa-Paparazzi

Real good, you’re dancing in the studio
Snap-snap, to those hits on NOW radio
Don't stop, for anyone
You’re cardboard but you STILL HAVE FUN

They’re your biggest fans
They’ll follow you until you love them
Papa-Paparazzi
Crash and Mars are stars
You know that they’ll be your
Papa-Paparazzi


I sincerely hope that song sticks with you ALL day...

- Dawn

Hey young writers! Want to learn how to write lyrics WAY better than these ones? Why not check out WordsWorth, the camp for young writers who believe in the power of words. Check out the line-up for this summer's sessions (week 2) for ages 15-19. (Including Brendan McLeod from the FUGITIVES!) Not 15? Our first camp is geared to young writers 11-14. Find out more at the Young Alberta Book Society website.


2 comments:

  1. They sure love their hot dogs! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. MY. GOD. I am so LATE to the Crash and Mars party you're having! I can't believe how much you've done!

    Literary events, museums, Chinatown, Little Italy and more! Holy moly. They're having the time of their lives.

    You are one amazing tour guide. And lyricist. ;)

    ReplyDelete