Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for The Following


Last year was my first crack at the A-Z Blogging Challenge, a blogging phenomenon created by the amazing Arlee Bird. The object is to blog every day of the month of April (except Sundays), and to increase the challenge, to blog thematically from A to Z. No sweat, right? Last year, I blogged about music with Jessica Bell. This year, I'm heading back to my roots and blogging about all things thriller. Join me?
*     *    *

I'm addicted to a *few* high stakes, high drama shows on TV right now - Walking Dead, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad and probably my favourite series right now, The Following

Never mind the kick ass cast (hello Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy, I love you), but I'm really enjoying the fact that FOX is taking a bit of a risk and upping the thriller component on a regular cable show. It takes a lot for me to get creeped out, but the uber charming, kind of sexy and brilliant serial killer (and cult leader) Joe Caroll (played by Purefoy) repeatedly gives me the heebie jeebies.

The show has been compared to 24 - and if you've followed my blog long enough, you'll know I'm not only a MASSIVE 24 fan (I own all seven seasons), but also think Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer was unbeatable (and hot!) 24 had *sniff* cliffhanger episode endings, random and shocking deaths, and some fabulous plot twists. While The Following lacks a bit of the same action, Kevin Bacon is an impressive tortured hero, the storyline is compelling, and most of the characters are engaging.

It was while watching the first season of 24 (years after everyone else was on the bandwagon) that I made my first difficult decision for my thriller ABSOLUTION - I killed off a character I loved and knew the reader would be shocked to see die. It turned out to be the best decision possible.

There is much to be learned about writing books from watching TV. If you're writing thriller, you might want to take a look at The Following.

Are you watching The Following? Discuss!

- Dawn


4 comments:

  1. Haven't seen it yet but my curiosity is now peaked. Really like your theme for this year's challenge so I am nominating you for a Liebster Award. Visit me at http://vickipaulus@blogspot.com for more info and your 11 questions. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. For my committee assignment, I'll try this show out! :-)

    ReplyDelete