Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Suspense


Last year was my first crack at the A-Z Blogging Challenge, a blogging phenomenon created by the amazing Arlee Bird. The object is to blog every day of the month of April (except Sundays), and to increase the challenge (if you want), to blog thematically from A to Z. No sweat, right? Last year, I blogged about music with Jessica Bell. This year, I'm heading back to my roots and blogging about all things thriller. Join me?
*     *    *


My stomach can handle a fairly decent amount of gore - I don't run scared from images of blood (though put REAL blood around me and I'm a wimp), and serial killers running around with chainsaws don't terrify me - on screen.

Unless of course those same serial killers are lurking in a dark shadow, waiting for me to round the corner so they can POUNCE on me, and THEN cut me up with a chainsaw. Because, I admit, I am much more frightened by suspense than an all-out gore fest.

I love books and movies that make me jump. Saw did that for me, as did The Exorcist back in the day, and more recently The Lady in Black - which, wasn't necessarily a great movie, but it gave me more "jump out of my skin" moments than I've had in a while.

After Jack Kilborn's thriller Afraid, I actually slept with the lights on the next day, much to my husband's dismay.

Suspense. It's the key ingredient for a good chill in my opinion. Would you rather suspense - or gore? And, what's the most suspenseful movie you have ever seen?

- Dawn

PS - It's muse avatar Monday and my "S" muse of choice is Blake Shelton. While I'm not REALLY a fan of country music (save a few songs here and there), I AM a fan of The Voice - and watching Blake on it has inspired me to download a few of his songs. He's not half bad. And he's very easy on the eyes. Bet he'd even protect me during a suspenseful movie...

The Book In My Bag Today: The Fault In Our Stars, John Green


RESOLUTION 2013 STATS

Total words last week: 4565
Total words to date for 2013: 72,804

Total pounds lost for week: 0
Total pounds lost to date for 2013: 27

Books read last week: 0
Total books read to date for 2013: 7

Movies watched last week: 1
Movies watched to date in 2013: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment