Monday, April 29, 2013

Y is for Yikes!


Last year was my first crack at the A-Z Blogging Challenge, a blogging phenomenon created by the amazing Arlee Bird. The object is to blog every day of the month of April (except Sundays), and to increase the challenge (if you want), to blog thematically from A to Z. No sweat, right? Last year, I blogged about music with Jessica Bell. This year, I'm heading back to my roots and blogging about all things thriller. Join me?
*     *    *

Yikes! That's my favorite exclamation when I read or watch something that creeps me out. Well, unless it scares the crap out of me - then I scream, loudly. Just ask my friends. I'm kind of a chicken sometimes.

I like a little "yikes!" factor in my thriller reads, though. That moment when the protagonist faces one of their fears, or is wounded, or gets into a predicament *I* can't see his/her way out of - until the end of the book.

When I write, I'm always looking for some "yikes!" moments, usually at the end of each chapter. Cliffhangers are not always easy, but they're worth it if your reader turns the page.

What are some of your favorite "Yikes!" moments in fiction or theatre?

- Dawn

P.S. - It's Muse Avatar Monday and honestly, I scrolled through "hot male celebrity" lists for almost an hour looking for Mr. "Y" in honor of the A to Z Challenge. (I know, tough job, but someone had to do it.) The best I could come up with is Ryan Gosling. Hey, there's a Y in his name!

The Book In My Bag Today: The Fault In Our Stars, John Green
RESOLUTION 2013 STATS

Total words last week: 0
Total words to date for 2013: 72,804

Total pounds lost for week: 0
Total pounds lost to date for 2013: 27

Books read last week: 0
Total books read to date for 2013: 7

Movies watched last week: 1
Movies watched to date in 2013: 6

1 comment: