Monday, May 6, 2013

I choose Usher!

If only Usher was a writing coach!

Okay, I admit, before this season of The Voice, I pretty much watched the show for Adam Levine. Sure, I liked the singing and the fun coach banter, but there was something a little creepy about Cee Lo Green, and it didn't take me long to get tired of X-Tina's ample bosom.

Enter Shakira - whom I have loved since Hips Don't Lie.

And Usher.

Aside from being some serious eye candy competition for Adam, Usher is my dream coach. No, seriously. Just watching his mentoring style makes me want to drop everything and be a singer - just for the chance to work with him. (Don't worry, I won't be gracing The Voice stage any time soon - I kind of suck at singing.)

Up until this season, the mentoring on The Voice has consisted primarily of some minor vocal corrections. Don't get me wrong, those tips have helped further the careers of some awesome talent. But Usher goes beyond the minor and strives for excellence. He's taken his team into the boxing ring for breath training and performance endurance, held a mirror up to force one girl to see her own inner beauty, and waltzed with one contestant to help her voice dance. He's laughed, complimented, and chastized. He's tough. Damn tough.

As he should be.

One of my writing mentors, Steve Berry, once said to me, "Nobody ever got to be a better writer by being told how good they are."

Wise words that are applicable to pretty much any vocation.

Practice your craft.

Strive for your personal best.

And never settle for anything less.

Yeah, Usher you can be MY coach any time. This week, please be my muse avatar. As the statistics show, I'm in need of a little push. And if I'm slacking, I honestly don't mind if you want to take a few rounds out of me in the boxing ring. No really. I even have my own gloves.

Happy Monday! Go be great.

- Dawn


RESOLUTION 2013 STATS

Total words last week: 3,000
Total words to date for 2013: 75,804

Total pounds lost for week: +1
Total pounds lost to date for 2013: 26 (Back to the gym this week!)

Books read last week: 0
Total books read to date for 2013: 7

Movies watched last week: 1
Movies watched to date in 2013: 6

1 comment:

  1. I do not even know how I ended up right here, however I
    assumed this post was great. I don't understand who you might be but certainly you're going to a well-known blogger
    if you are not already. Cheers!

    Here is my weblog: book of raw kostenlos spielen

    ReplyDelete